From NWS Nashville…
Weather101 is a series of FREE online classes to help the public learn about meteorology and forecasting. These classes will include a multitude of topics and expound on our SKYWARN spotter classes. The best part, individuals will be able to complete courses in the comfort of their own home using the extremely user-friendly computer program, Go-To-Meeting. The only requirement will be speakers to listen if you’re using a computer. If you want to ask questions, you will need to have a VOIP microphone (this is not a requirement). Each class can be viewed on a Mac or PC, as well as on your iPad, iPhone or Android device by simply downloading the FREE Go-To-Webinar app in the app store on your device (you’ll need the Webinar ID number supplied in the registration email). Here’s a list of the classes that will be offered and an overview of topics in each class:
• Who is the NWS?
• What causes the weather?
• What are some weather hazards?
Snowfall Forecasts in the South: Why are they so difficult?
• An examination of upper air soundings
• Ice Nucleation
• Warm air aloft and its role
The North American Monsoon
• What is a “Monsoon”?
• What is a “Microburst”?
• What is a “Haboob” and how does it form?
Observations in 3-Dimensions: METARs and Upper-Air Patterns
• METAR breakdown and how they are used
• Weather analysis maps:
• cold/warm fronts
• Upper air patterns and their interactions with surface patterns
Upper-Air Soundings: What do they mean?
• Explain the Upper-Air process
• Breakdown of several typically used parameters
Severe Thunderstorms: What is needed?
• Wind Shear
Quasi-Linear Convective Systems (QLCSs): The Squall Line
• What they are, what they aren’t
• How do they form?
• Why do they give The South fits?
• A quick explanation of Doppler
• Reflectivity versus velocity
• Dual Pol products
Flash Flooding: The Forgotten Element of Severe Weather
• Meteorological Causes of Flash Flooding
• River flooding
• Breakdown of NWS Flood products
To sign up for one of our online classes, simply click on the link beside the date/time you want to attend, fill out the form and we will forward you a link to register on the Go-To-Meeting website. Register, download the FREE software, and BAM! You can attend the one-hour online class. Remember, if you’re using the Go-To-Meeting app on your iPad, iPhone or Android device, your Webinar ID number will be included in your registration email.
Click this link to be taken to the NWS Nashville’s Weather 101 page for more information and to register for classes.