The Alabama Department of Environmental Management (ADEM) has issued a CODE ORANGE AIR QUALITY ALERT for Jefferson and Shelby counties for Monday, September 9.
Under code orange conditions, ground-level ozone concentrations are expected to reach levels that are unhealthy for sensitive groups. Children and people with asthma are individuals most at risk under these expected conditions.
ADEM recommends the following actions during an air quality alert for ozone:
• Conserve electricity and set your air conditioner at a higher temperature.
• Limit driving and combine errands.
• Use the bus or carpool to work.
• Avoid the use of gasoline power lawn and garden equipment.
• Refuel cars and trucks after 6 pm.
• Limit engine idling.
• If breathing becomes difficult, move indoors.
• Use household, workshop, and garden chemicals in ways that keep evaporation to a minimum, or try to avoid them when poor air quality is forecast.